The good news is that the solution to this problem lies at your home, and you just need to grab some ingredients from your kitchen.
In this article, I am going to share 5 home recipes to lighten the dark underarms. These recipes are safe and tried by myself, but still, if you experience any redness, itching, or reaction, then immediately stop using it.
But before diving into the recipes, here are some reasons for dark armpits:
Reasons For Dark Underarms
1. Continuous Shaving
Yes, this is one of the major reasons for dark armpits. I am not saying that shaving underarms are wrong, but many people did it the wrong way, resulting in dry and dark armpits.
Actually, it is mandatory to use a good moisturizing lotion after shaving. Otherwise, you may be left with red bumps and irritated skin that can turn darker.
2. Use of Hot Wax
Many people prefer waxing their armpits over Shaving, but again if waxing is not done properly, it harms the delicate skin.
Sometimes salon’s people use too hot wax to remove hair. I also have the same experience many times when a parlor lady almost killed me with hot wax.
This continuous usage of hot wax often led to dark underarms.
3. Hair Removal Creams
Another way of hair removal is by Hair Removal Creams. Normally, Hair Removal Creams are tested and are not harmful, but some people have very sensitive skin that reacts to the chemicals present in these Hair Removal Creams.
Hence, the result is dark underarms.
4. Continuous Abrasion
It is always advised to wear clothes that are comfortable and in-abrasive. Sadly, people can compromise on comfortability but not in fashion.
This continuous abrasion can result in dark underarms.
5. Cosmetics and Creams
Underarm skin is very delicate and it can be affected very easily by the wrong products. It is not necessary that if a cosmetic product or cream performs well on the face will perform the same on the other areas.
Cosmetics and creams that are made for the face, when applied at delicate areas such as underarms, can irritate the skin.
Natural Home Remedies To Lighten Dark Underarms
1. Lemon and Honey
- Take 1 tablespoon of good quality honey in a cup.
- Squeeze a half medium-size lemon in it.
- Mix it well.
- Apply it on your underarms and leave it for good 15 minutes
- Wash with normal water.
Lemon combines with honey helps lighten skin color, and honey provides moisturization at the same time.
2. Potato Pulp
- Peel a medium-sized potato.
- Blend it in a mixture to form a paste.
- Apply this paste on your underarms.
- Leave it for 10 minutes.
- Wash and pat dry.
The potato is highly effective in lightening dark skin. You may experience a little tingling sensation in starting, but if the tingling is unbearable then quickly remove the mask.
Cucumber is not only good for the eyes but also for underarms. It has antibacterial and antifungal properties that, when applied to armpits, freshens up the skin.
- Take out the cucumber juice.
- Apply this juice on the dark underarms using cotton.
- Leave it there for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with water.
4. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is again infused with antifungal and antibacterial properties. Used to treat various skin ailments, tea tree oil is a remedy for all.
Tea Tree should never be used alone. It should always be mixed with career oil such as coconut oil, almond oil, or any other oil.
- Mix a few drops of tea tree oil career oil.
- Apply this mixture on your underarms.
- Keep it overnight.
Tea tree oil will not only eliminate darkness in your armpits but also impart freshness and remove foul smell if any.
5. Turmeric and Sandalwood Powder
- Take a tablespoon of sandalwood powder in a bowl.
- Add half teaspoon of turmeric to it.
- Add lemon to form a uniform paste.
- Apply this on your underarms and massage for 2-3 minutes.
- Leave it there for 10 more minutes.
- Rinse with water.
Sandalwood mixed with turmeric and lemon removes dead skin cells from an outer layer of skin. Thus, eliminates black bumps and blackheads that occur after shaving and waxing.
If you have any cuts on the skin then do not use this mask otherwise it will hurt a lot.
Other Things To Keep In Mind For Dark Underarms
- Avoid clothes that are too abrasive and tight on the underarms.
- Do not use alcohol-based deodorants directly on armpits.
- Use deodorants and creams that are made for underarms.
- Use talcum powder if you sweat a lot.
- Do not use a blunt razor to shave underarms hair.
- Do not apply too hot wax.
- Apply mask mentioned-above at least twice a week.